Monday 16 April 2012

Young Nigerian girl bags jail term for buying stolen phone

What a sad story
? “In 2008, I bought a Starcomms phone for N10,000 in order to start a business centre. A few days later, a man called me and said the phone was stolen from him. I told the man I didn’t know it was stolen.
We had an agreement that I should return the phone and he would refund my money.“I gave the man my address but when he got to my place, he said the phone was stolen from him along with his laptop and some other vital documents. He accused me of being a thief, called the police and had me arrested.
I was charged with robbery and have been in Kirikiri since then as my trial has yet to begin.”“I told the IPO that I was only 16 years old and that I knew nothing about the stolen phone but the IPO wrote 21 on my statement and claimed I was lying about my age.
I was arraigned as an adult.”This is the story of 20 year old Blessing Effion an awaiting trial inmate at the female section of Kirikiri Prisons, Lagos. Her case perhaps typifies the injustice suffered by the poor in the Nigerian society.Unfortunately, even after four years,  Blessing’s trial had not begun as the court was said to be awaiting advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions.
The truth came out after the Akwa-Ibom indigene was interviewed by the Attorney-General of Lagos State Mr. Ade Ipaye during a visit to the prisons.

No comments:

Post a Comment